Outlook.com and hotmail both use the same login but can't get hotmail email

Philr 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T18:11:22.4+00:00

Installed clean copy of Windows 11. Ran Outlook and it couldn't login to my hotmail account, said it couldn't find it and to create a new account. I had hotmail open on my phone and was getting email. But I created a new outlook account using the email address for hotmail. Now when I open outlook it logs in using the account but I still can't see my hotmail mail.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

6 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Brian Tillman 27,130 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-18T23:38:23.9166667+00:00

    Again, there is no difference between a Hotmail account and an Outlook.com account. Any account using an address ending in @hotmail.com is an Outlook.com account because Microsoft renamed the Hotmail service to Outlook.com back in 2013. This is also true of accounts whose addresses end in @live.com and @msn.com as well. So anyone whose address ends in any of those domains log into Outlook.com to receive their mail, either using a web browser or an email client like classic or new Outlook, Thunderbird, eM Client and others.

    I cannot think of a scenario that would produce what you describe unless you're using POP accounts on the devices that show more email. Could you verify the account type on the old computer and the phone. What client do you use on the phone? Is the phone Android or iOS?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.