Outlook.com and hotmail both use the same login but can't get hotmail email

Philr 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T18:11:22.4+00:00

Installed clean copy of Windows 11. Ran Outlook and it couldn't login to my hotmail account, said it couldn't find it and to create a new account. I had hotmail open on my phone and was getting email. But I created a new outlook account using the email address for hotmail. Now when I open outlook it logs in using the account but I still can't see my hotmail mail.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

6 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Brian Tillman 27,130 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-16T19:48:49.1666667+00:00

    Hi. I'm Brian and I'll try to help.

    Which account do you use to log into Windows? All @hotmail.com accounts are Microsoft accounts as are @outlook.com accounts. It's the exact same service. When you said you created a a "new account using the email address for hotmail," do you mean that you created a new Microsoft account with that address (which would be impossible) or do you mean you created an account within new Outlook for Windows that used that address to connect with the Microsoft account's mailbox? If you log into https://outlook.live.com/ with the hotmail.com address and password, to you see the messages? I'm a little confused exactly what you did. Can you be more explicit, please, and state the exact steps you took and with which apps?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.