Audio not working reliably in Word transcription mode pt2

Chris P 10 Reputation points
2026-09-16T09:29:08.08+00:00

I posted a while back about an issue I was having with Word for Microsoft 365. I went to update it this morning and discovered the thread was locked last night, so I've started a new thread to update the issue.

In brief: I can access the audio for an uploaded file when I first open the transcription pane. However, if I pause the audio for more than a few seconds it won't restart and I have to close the transcription pane and open it again.

That may sound trivial, but the nature of my work is generally going through the audio a few sentences at a time and then pausing to add it to the document and edit it. I can do this literally hundreds of times a day sometimes, so closing the pane, reopening it and finding the same place in the recording each time is not an adequate solution. I gather I'm not the only person experiencing this problem, either.

Some suggestions in the previous thread were:

Update Office first. In Word, select File > Account > Update Options > Update Now. Build 20131.20112 is no longer the latest Version 2606 build, so test again after updating.

I'm on version 2608 and Word says this is currently the most up to date (at time of posting the thread).

Try the same file in Word for the web using the latest Edge or Chrome. Transcribe requires an Internet connection, and Edge or Chrome are the supported browsers.

I've tried it in Chrome and had the same issue.

If playback also stops there, try an Edge InPrivate window. It is recommended that you clear the browser cache if InPrivate works normally.

I tried this and got an error saying that 'private or incognito browsing is not supported'.

In desktop Word, check File > Account > Account Privacy > Manage Settings and make sure optional connected experiences are enabled, since desktop Transcribe depends on them.

Yes, All Connected Experiences are enabled. The only things I have turned off are optional analytics and personalised discounts.

(Another thing I checked previously was the capacity of my One Drive, and it's almost entirely empty.)

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Chris P 10 Reputation points
    2026-09-22T11:12:55.83+00:00

    Well, this is strange... I switched to a different network and initially thought it had improved things. Long story short, changing the network on my end actually made no difference as far as I could tell, but it did seem to work for slightly longer than usual, which is odd. The only thing I can think of is that it's morning over here currently. I usually do most of my writing in the afternoon (UK time), so perhaps something in the cloud gets busier once everyone in the US wakes up and comes online too?

    For the record, here's what I did:

    • Transcribed a audio new file in a new document. Initially thought it had solved the problem as I could leave it paused for several seconds and restart (either at the same place or by clicking on a different time code). Eventually, the problem returned.
    • Tried a different file in a new document, increasing the pause time by five second increments. It worked up to 25 seconds, but the problem came back after I left it for 30 seconds (it would normally manifest itself after a few seconds, so this is a noticeable change).
    • Opened a new document, renamed the audio file and transcribed it into the new document. Played a couple of sections with short gaps between to check it appeared to be functioning okay. Then went straight to a 30-second gap, and it restarted okay. Eventually, the problem did return.
    • Tried again, once again renaming the audio file. This time it would tolerate being paused for at least a minute. Also tried an old document, where the audio file has already uploaded and accessed several times, and that would play after a relatively prolonged pause too - I didn't time that one, but it was longer than it would normally allow. Eventually, the problem returned to both documents.
    • Tried with both a long audio file and a short one. No noticeable difference.
    • Closed Word. Switched back to my normal household wifi network. Re-started with a new document and a renamed version of the same audio file. The behaviour was virtually the same as it was on the other network, but I'm sure it was also better than normal. I tried longer and shorter audio files and I also tried varying the length that I played the audio versus the length of time I paused it and couldn't find any clear correlation. Eventually, it ceased working as well.

    I'll try again this afternoon and see if there's any noticeable difference.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Kai-H 27,225 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-16T14:02:24.21+00:00

    Hi, Chris P

    This no longer looks like a local Word setting or OneDrive storage issue. Since the same behavior occurs in desktop Word and Chrome, and similar playback failures have been reproduced, it is likely a Transcribe playback defect rather than something you are doing incorrectly.

    Select a timestamp beside the next transcript section instead of using the main Play button. Word supports starting playback from individual timestamps, so this may resume the recording without reloading the pane.

    Run an Office Online Repair: right-click Start, select Installed apps, find Microsoft 365, select the three dots > Modify > Online Repair. This is more thorough than Quick Repair, although the web behavior suggests it may not fully resolve the issue.

    Report it through Help > Feedback in Word. Include Version 2608, Windows version, audio format, and clear reproduction steps: upload a recording, play it, pause for 10 seconds, then try to resume. Enable the option allowing contact and attach a short screen recording if possible.

    Unfortunately, private browsing is not a workable test when Microsoft 365 blocks that session. At this point, repeated cache, storage, and connected-experience checks are unlikely to add much. A diagnostic report through Feedback is the most useful next step.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.