A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
already tried everything
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi,
I'm using Excel for Microsoft 365 on Windows (Italian interface). I have a workbook where ETFs and ETCs listed on Xetra and Borsa Italiana are converted to the Stocks data type. Until recently it refreshed without any problem.
Now, when I select Data > Refresh All, I get this error:
"You need to be online to refresh your linked data types. Check your connection and try again."
(Italian UI: "È necessario essere online per aggiornare i tipi di dati collegati. Controllare la connessione e riprovare.")
My PC is online and the internet works normally.
Account details:
What I've already tried, without success:
My questions:
Thank you.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
already tried everything
AI answer
That message does not necessarily mean the PC has no internet access. For linked data types, Excel shows “You need to be online to refresh your linked data types” when it cannot complete the online refresh path for the data type service. The supported checks are:
For the admin question: the context does not document a Microsoft 365 tenant setting that blocks the built-in Stocks data type for work accounts. It does document admin control for Organization data types / Power BI scenarios, where a Power BI admin can disable that feature. That is separate from Stocks.
What can still be tried locally:
Direct answers:
References:
Hello @Avenia Marco
Based on the information provided, I understand that you are experiencing an issue where Excel is unable to connect or refresh data successfully.
To further investigate this issue, could you please help me with the following information:
Please let me know the results of the above tests, along with any error messages or screenshots you may have. This information will help me further isolate the cause of the issue.
I look forward to your update.