My Computer will not let me sign on.

Ron Wynkoop 0 Reputation points
2026-09-14T19:57:28.1766667+00:00

I reset and tried to sign on to a computer that is not working so I can pull my data but they could not get into my harddrive because they say it is encrypted. I reset my password for microsoft that I opened it with and it will not let me in. What am I to do? I got a new computer but can't get anything transferred. One tech guy told me it was encrypted and they can't open it. How do I get my info off and onto a different computer. HELP please reply to <mod: PII removed>@frontiernet.net or call me at <mod: PII removed> I really need this soon. It's been over 2 week without a computer and I have important information on rentals on it.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Emma1-N 13,315 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-15T02:40:57.0066667+00:00

    Welcome Ron Wynkoop,

    I'm sorry you're dealing with this, especially with important rental information on the PC.

    To narrow this down, could you confirm:

    • Are you signing in with a personal Microsoft account (Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, Live.com, etc.) or a local account?
    • When you start the computer, do you see a message asking for a BitLocker Recovery Key or mentioning drive encryption?
    • Is the old computer still able to start Windows, or is Windows no longer loading?

    In the meantime, please try this quick check:

    • On another device, sign in to your Microsoft account at Microsoft's BitLocker recovery key page: https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey
    • If a recovery key is listed, compare the Key ID shown on the locked computer with the Key ID on the website.
    • If they match, enter the recovery key to unlock the drive.

    If the drive is BitLocker-encrypted and the recovery key is not available, access to the encrypted data may not be possible. However, let's first confirm whether BitLocker is actually involved before moving further.

    Also, for your privacy and safety, please do not post phone numbers or email addresses in the public forum.

    I look forward to your reply with the answers to the questions above.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.