Moving taskbar on Windows 11

Sarah G 40 Reputation points
2026-06-23T03:16:56.6066667+00:00

My work laptop was upgraded to Windows 11 today and now I can't move my taskbar to the top of my screen. I have had it in this placement since I first started using Windows.
How do I move the taskbar?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Task Bar
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-23T03:22:24.33+00:00

At present, this can only be achieved using third party apps like ExplorerPatcher or Windhawk.

Being able to move the taskbar is coming natively to Windows 11, though I've no idea when this will happen.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2026/03/21/microsoft-confirms-vertical-and-top-taskbar-update-for-windows-11-shares-first-look/

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Marcin Policht 109.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-23T03:19:14.66+00:00

Unfortunately this is no longer available - more at https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/discussions/1909 and https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/5924279/how-to-move-taskbar-to-top-in-windows-11

Use Windhawk as a workaround

https://windhawk.net/mods/taskbar-on-top


If the above response helps answer your question, remember to "Accept Answer" so that others in the community facing similar issues can easily find the solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

hth

Marcin

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.