How to locate "defined names"

Phillip Richcreek 1,100 Reputation points
2026-06-20T20:34:11.34+00:00

I've defined names for a spreadsheet. I need to view the defined names. This illustrates what I mean by "defined names"

illustrate whatI mean by#defined name#2

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2026-06-20T20:34:25.44+00:00

To see all the defined names in the workbook in Excel for Windows:

  1. Open the workbook.
  2. Go to the Formulas tab on the ribbon.
  3. In the Defined Names group, click Name Manager.

The Name Manager dialog box lists every defined name and table name. For each name you can see:

  • Name – the defined name (for example, Condo_Streets_Column).
  • Value – the current value or result of the name.
  • Refers to – the cell/range or formula the name points to.
  • Scope – whether it applies to the whole workbook or a specific worksheet.
  • Comment – any descriptive text stored with the name.

From this dialog you can also sort, filter, edit, or delete defined names.


References:

AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Phillip Richcreek 1,100 Reputation points
    2026-06-20T20:46:52.7333333+00:00

    The AI answer solved my issue. I've clicked on "Yes, accept answer" but it does nothing.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.