how to fix laptop getting stuck and entering bitlocker shortly after turning on mobile hotspot and leaving it idle

yoonie 20 Reputation points
2026-06-20T14:26:22.0666667+00:00

Hello,

I'm a high school student who uses my tablet more than my Windows 11 laptop. While I'm studying at home, the room I'm sitting in seems to be a dead zone for my internet. As a result, I turn on the Windows Mobile Hotspot feature and place it near the room so I can use the internet on my tablet. As a result, my laptop stays idle while doing that. But recently, I've noticed that shortly after I turn this feature on and do my thing for, let's say, around an hour or so, the entire computer gets stuck. Except for this hotspot feature, no apps would be running, so it's only the desktop screen. The mouse pointer doesn't move, the clock would be stuck at an hour ago, the audio would also freeze, and there'd be no response. So I'd force shut it down using the power button, and then I'd turn it on again, and it would go into BitLocker. The first few times it happened, I was scared because I used this laptop at school occasionally, so what if it goes into BitLocker at school? So, thinking about that possibility, I decrypted the laptop. But this problem wasn't solved. To this day, it still gets stuck. I tried to get the WiFi driver updates via Device Manager, but every time I get a message saying it's updated to the latest drivers. I can't really figure out what's going on.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Lychee-Ng 28,810 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-06-22T10:31:11.0766667+00:00

Hi yoonie,

I can understand why this would be alarming, especially for a student who needs to rely on their laptop and has already been surprised by a BitLocker recovery prompt. Since the issue still occurs after decryption, I don't think BitLocker is the root cause here.

From your description, it sounds more like the laptop is experiencing a system crash / hang, and the BitLocker prompt was a consequence of the unexpected shutdown rather than the original problem. It’d be helpful if you can check a few things below:

1 - Manually update your system

  • Visit your laptop manufacturer's official website
  • Find your model > download and install the latest:
    • Wi‑Fi driver
    • Bluetooth driver
    • Chipset driver
    • BIOS/UEFI update
  • Most of the brands now have an application for this.

2 - Confirm whether the hotspot feature is triggering the problem

  • Press Win + X > choose Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System
  • Look for Critical or Error events around the time of the freeze, e.g.
    • Kernel-Power
    • WLAN-AutoConfig
    • Netwtw* (Intel Wi‑Fi)
    • Realtek Wi‑Fi events
  • Let me know what you found (screenshots are appreciated)

3 - Turn off Sleep mode to test

  • Open Settings > System > Power & battery
  • Expand Screen, sleep, & hibernate timeouts
  • Make my device sleep after > choose Never
    • Plugged in
    • On battery
  • Turn on Mobile Hotspot and leave it idle again.

Just wondering, did you keep the laptop plugged in during the hotspot broadcast? Also, it’d be helpful if you can tell me your laptop model and Wi‑Fi adapter, as well as more info on your system! Press Win + R > enter msinfo32 and share the screenshot of that window (hide ALL usernames and IDs before posting).


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.