Bitlocker account key

taffy harmon 20 Reputation points
2026-06-19T18:18:54.61+00:00

I have my bit locker recovery key but I can’t enter it because my keyboard will only enter numbers but no letters

Windows for home | Other | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
John Jefferson Doyon 88,610 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-19T18:56:44.7933333+00:00

Hi, I'm John! I will help you with this.

BitLocker recovery key is a 48-digit number and does not contain any letters. You only need to enter the numbers from the recovery key. The letters you may see are usually part of the Recovery Key ID, which is only used to identify the correct key.

Are you able to see and enter the 48-digit recovery key, or is the keyboard not responding properly even when typing numbers?

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John Jefferson Doyon 88,610 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-06-19T21:15:38.53+00:00

    I cannot find a 48 digit recovery key.

    Just to confirm, have you already checked this page? https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey

    If you set up or used the device with a work or school account, you can also check here: https://aka.ms/aadrecoverykey

    A few things to consider:

    • If the device was purchased second-hand, gifted, or preconfigured (for example, by a store or organization), the BitLocker key might be stored under the original owner’s Microsoft account.
    • If you set it up using a different Microsoft account in the past, try signing in with that account as well.
    • During setup, you might have the key saved to a local file or printed copy, instead of the online account. It's worth checking your saved files or printouts.

    About entering Bitlocker key, as I mentioned earlier:

    • BitLocker recovery key is a 48-digit number and does not contain any letters. You only need to enter the numbers from the recovery key. The letters you may see are usually part of the Recovery Key ID, which is only used to identify the correct key.

    Let me know what you find. Thanks :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. taffy harmon 20 Reputation points
    2026-06-19T21:15:20.4366667+00:00

    If I was given a 48 digit key with letters and numbers by Microsoft then where do I find the numbers only recovery key?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. taffy harmon 20 Reputation points
    2026-06-19T21:12:46.71+00:00

    I cannot find a 48 digit recovery key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.