Dropdown list does not extend to new row in table

Cindy 25 Reputation points
2026-06-19T17:28:48.39+00:00

I feel like I'm losing my mind here. I have an existing table with six columns. One column has a data validation drop down list and when I add a new row, the list extends to that cell in the row. Now I added a new column and want a validation list. I followed same procedure - created the list as a table, and a named range for the date. Selected the column of cells that already exist, and added the data validation list with named range as the source. It works great, but when I add a new row, the cell that should have the dropdown does not. What's making me crazy is the cell with the first dropdown does work. Help?!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Senthil kumar 2,500 Reputation points
2026-06-19T18:42:42.5066667+00:00

Hi @Cindy

Select the whole column and apply the data validation it will be work. otherwise until selected column only apply the data validation.

Thanks.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.