Does the AI-901 exam include a lab (performance-based) component?

Aadit Bhuwalka 20 Reputation points
2026-06-19T13:10:03.63+00:00

Hi,

I am preparing for the AI-901: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals exam and I have a question about the exam format.

I reviewed the official study guide (updated April 15, 2026) and noticed that the new format places a strong emphasis on implementing AI solutions using Microsoft Foundry (55–60%), including tasks like deploying models, creating chat client applications, building agents, and using the Foundry SDK.

Given the hands-on and implementation-focused nature of these objectives, I wanted to clarify:

  1. Does the AI-901 exam include any lab or performance-based (hands-on) questions, similar to what is seen in associate-level exams like AZ-204 or AZ-104?
  2. Or is the exam still entirely multiple-choice/knowledge-based, despite the implementation-focused skill areas?

Thank you!

Community Center | Not monitored
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Julian Sharp 43,861 Reputation points
2026-06-19T13:52:51.01+00:00

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/credentials/support/exam-duration-exam-experience

Fundamentals level exams do not contain labs or hands-on questions

For coding questions you be asked for example to select a missing method from a list

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.