Gigabyte MO27Q2A / HDR Game / Maximum luminance / Windows HDR Calibration tool question?

sukkamehu 20 Reputation points
2026-06-19T10:26:45.7566667+00:00

I own Gigabyte MO27Q2A . The peak brightness of the monitor is 1000 cd/m². In the HDR settings of the monitor, there is an HDR Game preset. When I calibrate my monitor using the Windows HDR Calibration tool, the pattern in both the Maximum Luminance and Maximum Full Frame Luminance Test screens does not disappear until around 1800. Should those maximum values be the same as the maximum brightness of the display 1000 cd/m², or can the maximum values be that high (1800)?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Carl-L 22,825 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-06-20T06:50:48.19+00:00

Hello sukkamehu,

Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

For me, I'd not trust 1800 as the correct monitor peak brightness. While it is true that the maximum brightness can go higher than what stated by the manufacturer, it usually won't go that high. In this case, I believe that this happens because tone mapping is delaying the disappearance.

That being said, the 1800 value won't harm the monitor in anyway as I know. So if you like the look of it, it is totally fine to keep it that way and use HDR. I hope this clarifies.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.