Word will not let me resize table column

MKel 45 Reputation points
2026-06-17T22:14:08.1866667+00:00

Office 365 Word. Document has existed for multiple years with no issues.

Word recently changed my table properties (cell width) and I am unable to change it back. Changing cell width in table layout will not affect it, I type in new width and it just changes back to what it was.

Overtype mode is off. Numlock key is on (always on). Distribute columns changes but then bounces back. Autofit - Fixed column width makes no difference.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
John Jefferson Doyon 88,605 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-18T23:27:38.5+00:00

The longest text does contain hyperlinks without spaces. Up until this change the hyperlinks split at the end of the cell as normal text would. No spaces, no field codes, no embedded objects, no images, and no hidden text Yes, on the copy to new document. But the Ctrl+Q allows me to change the column width. I can't use the Ctrl+spacebar as I have formatting that I want to keep. New table in same document produces the same results. Noticed some other wonky things happening. Will reinstall Word & copy table. Very strange, thought it might be a simple fix but don't want to risk document anymore. Thanks so much for assist.

Thanks for the update.

The fact that Ctrl+Q fixed the column resizing is a strong sign that paragraph formatting inside the table is causing the issue, not the table properties themselves.

The long hyperlinks without spaces could also be contributing, especially if Word is no longer wrapping them correctly.

Since you're seeing other unusual behavior in Word, repairing or reinstalling Microsoft 365 is worth trying. I also recommend keeping a backup of the document before making any changes.

If the issue remains after the repair, copying the content into a brand-new table may be easier than trying to find the exact formatting causing it.

Glad we were able to narrow it down. Thanks for the update.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
John Jefferson Doyon 88,605 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-17T23:01:08.7633333+00:00

Hi, I'm John! I will help you with this.

If Word is changing the column width back immediately, there may be a table setting, document protection, or a style affecting the table.

Could you check a few things?

  • Is this happening with only this document or with any new table in a new blank Word document?
  • If you right-click the table > Table Properties > Table tab, is "Preferred width" checked?
  • Under Table Properties > Row tab, is "Specify height" enabled?
  • Under Review, is the document protected or restricted for editing?
  • Does the issue affect all columns or only one specific column?

Also, if possible, what version of Word are you using? (File > Account > About Word)

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Eric Di 5 Reputation points
    2026-06-22T15:55:20.3233333+00:00

    (User here.) I finally found that upon selecting the whole table, selecting Table Properties (right click), the first menu that appears is the overall table properties. At the top of the menu is a "Preferred Table Width." Apparently this is priority, and overrides any "Preferred Column Width" that I manually tried to set. I was able to uncheck it. From there I was able to recover and rework the columns. However, I cannot recover the time lost with this arbitrary change in Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Stefan Blom 353.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-06-18T09:55:14.7533333+00:00

    The table may have become damaged (corrupt). Select the affected table and then convert it to text (Table Layout tab > Convert to Text). You can accept the default suggestion to use tab characters to separate the text (columns). Select the content and convert it back to a table (Insert tab > Table > Convert Text to Table). Does that fix the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.