A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Thanks for the good questions.
- Yes. Opens ok on wife's Windows PC. I renamed and sent it back, opened...crash.
- Yes
- No error message - just crash and crash window with available appears
- Tried the Repair option - crash
- Tried opening in Word Online and no issues. downloaded with new name and opened in Word on my Mac - crash
- I deleted and reinstalled MS365 on my MacAir, and no change - still crashes.
- I'd removed the Microsoft Word set up files I could find, but
- My Mac has Tahoe 26.5.1 and Word was just downloaded with updates applied, v 16.110 Huh. File is ok elsewhere, but not on this Mac. I'm not a Mac expert, so I'm not sure what else I can do to reset Word or my Mac to get rid of what is causing this.
Thanks for the detailed update. That actually helps narrow it down quite a bit.
Since the document opens on a Windows PC and in Word Online, the file itself appears to be intact. The fact that a newly downloaded copy still crashes on your Mac, even after reinstalling Microsoft 365, suggests the issue may be related to something in the local Word or macOS environment rather than the document itself.
This sounds more like Word is encountering a problem when rendering something in the document on this specific Mac. A font, cache, template, graphics-related component, or user profile setting could be triggering the crash.
If you haven't tried it yet:
- Create a new macOS user account and sign into Word there. Then try opening the document. This helps determine whether the issue is isolated to your current macOS profile.
- Start Word while holding Shift and check whether the document still crashes if all add-ins and startup items are bypassed.
- If the document contains many images, charts, or custom fonts, does the crash occur immediately after opening, or can you briefly see the document before Word closes?
- When Word crashes, does the crash report mention a specific font name or module? Sometimes the details section of the crash report provides a clue.
One thing that stands out is that you're using Word 16.110 on macOS Tahoe 26.5.1. Has this document successfully opened on this Mac since updating to Tahoe, or did the crashes start only after a recent macOS or Office update?
That timing could help determine whether this is a profile issue, a font issue, or a compatibility problem introduced by a recent update.
Thanks.