Does Microsoft 365 Copilot (Chat or Outlook) include archive mailbox data when working with Shared Mailboxes?

Susanne Duckhorn 80 Reputation points
2026-06-17T07:32:30.74+00:00

Hello support,

I have a question regarding CoPilot Chat or CoPilot in Outlook.

I have read that CoPilot Chat is now able to retrieve information from Shared Mailboxes the user has access to. Does this include information in emails that are archived in a shared mailbox using the archiving and auto-expanding feature in Shared Mailboxes with Exchange Online Plan 2?

Thanks for clarification.

Br,

Susanne Duckhorn

Exchange | Other
Exchange | Other

A powerful email and collaboration platform developed by Microsoft, designed to support enterprise-level communication and productivity. Miscellaneous topics that do not fit into specific categories.

0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2026-06-17T10:40:47.3033333+00:00

Hello @Susanne Duckhorn

May I confirm that you’re referring to Copilot Chat / Copilot in Outlook for shared mailboxes?

User's image

User's image

If yes, I did a quick test in my environment using a shared mailbox with an Exchange Online Plan 2 license. When searching for emails in the Online Archive, for example: “Search my shared mailboxes and summarize emails mentioning ABC” Copilot does not return results from the archive.

However, I noticed that if you use prompts like:

  • “Search my shared mailboxes online archive and summarize emails mentioning ABC”
  • “Summarize recent emails in <shared mailbox email> mailbox”

then the results may include emails from the Online Archive folder.

So I think the key point here is that you need to explicitly point Copilot to the mailbox (which includes all folders), or even to the specific archive context, for it to return the expected results.

However, this is only based on my own testing and observations. I’d recommend testing these prompts in your own environment to confirm whether the behavior matches your scenario and meets your requirements, then sharing your findings back here.

For reference, you can check: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365-copilot/use-copilot-in-shared-mailboxes-and-delegate-mailboxes

Looking forward to your reply.


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.