Unable to use New Outlook - The M365 Family & 365 Business Basic conundrum

Matt Fallon 20 Reputation points
2026-06-16T04:52:04.7733333+00:00

For background, I have an M365 family subscription which I share with my family as the "IT guy" in the family.

I also have a 365 business basic subscription where I provide e-mail services to my family having moved away from hosting my own e-mail server some years ago.

We're talking a sum total of 7 people for e-mail and less for Office, so it's not masses, but the business basic option serves my needs best.

The challenge I have is that when I try and use the New Outlook with my 365 business basic account, it tells me that I don't have a valid licence.

When I try and provide my credentials for my 365 subscription, it's unable to sign in as there is no mailbox associated with this, given that it's just an old email alias, not associated with my 365 exchange mailbox.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation, but almost certainly I'm in a minority with this exceptional setup.

I'd really rather not change my primary e-mail to my old alias, as I have a much nicer abbreviated version of the domain I use now just to make this work.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get this to function?

When I get the error I go to "Add Subscription" which is then followed by "The username may be incorrect. Make sure you typed it correctly. Otherwise, contact your admin." trying to provide my Microsoft (consumer) account that the M365 family sub is connected to.

Any suggestions or solutions welcome.


Moved from Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For business
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP] 18,406 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-16T07:11:39.44+00:00

You indeed need to add a subscription if the account associated with the Exchange Online account doesn't have a license for the Office apps.

When adding a subscription, make sure you use your Microsoft Account. In the case that your Microsoft Account is associated with a 3rd party domain, it could lead to authentication issues. In that case, log in with an outlook.com alias for your account instead. If you don't have one, you can easily add it here;

https://account.live.com/names/Manage

You can check which aliases can be used for login here as well.

Another way to go would be to first configure New Outlook with your Outlook.com account, add the Outlook.com account as a subscription account, add the business account, and then remove the Outlook.com mailbox account.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Jade Ng 15,765 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-06-16T06:57:01.32+00:00

    Dear @Matt Fallon,

    I’m sorry you’re having a problem and for the situation you encountered, I deeply understand the inconvenience caused and apologize for it.

    • First, could you please confirm are you able to successfully sign in to your business account via Outlook on the web? Just to clarify, Microsoft 365 Business Basic does not include licensing for the desktop Outlook client, as it is primarily intended for web and mobile usage, which may explain the “no valid license” message you’re encountering.
    • Additionally, could you confirm whether the email address associated with your business account is the same as or overlaps with the one used for your personal account?

    When I try and provide my credentials for my 365 subscription, it's unable to sign in as there is no mailbox associated with this, given that it's just an old email alias, not associated with my 365 exchange mailbox. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation, but almost certainly I'm in a minority with this exceptional setup. I'd really rather not change my primary e-mail to my old alias, as I have a much nicer abbreviated version of the domain I use now just to make this work.

    Regarding this part of your issue, could you please elaborate further on what you’re experiencing, and if possible, provide a screenshot of the issue you’re encountering?

    Your understanding and co-operation are highly appreciated. Thanks for your precious time.

    I am looking forward to your response!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.