Changed teams ringtone, but the same ringtone still plays

Mac Arndt 20 Reputation points
2026-06-15T18:02:12.5533333+00:00

Hello,

I am using teams voice on my desktop for work and I really hate the default ringtone. I went into the settings and changed the ringtone, but I am still getting the same default ringtone every time I get a call. Why is this horrid ringtone still playing when I've clearly changed it?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Settings | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Alexis-NG 18,070 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-06-15T18:40:21.7066667+00:00

Hi Arndt,

I hope you’ve been well. 

To help me narrow this down and provide the most accurate guidance, could you please share a bit more detail about your setup?

  • Which device and operating system are you using (e.g., Windows, macOS, Android, iOS)?
  • Does the issue occur only on the desktop client, or do you observe the same ringtone behavior on Teams web/mobile as well?
  • Are the incoming calls direct calls to you, or are they coming through a call group / delegation / shared line?
  • When the ringtone issue happens, are you already in another call or meeting, or fully idle in Teams?
  • Does the incorrect ringtone happen for every incoming call, or only in specific scenarios (e.g., internal vs external, PSTN vs Teams calls, call queues)?
  • After changing the ringtone, did you restart Teams (sign out/in or fully quit and reopen), and did the new ringtone preview play correctly in Settings?

Once I have a clearer understanding of your current situation, I’ll be happy to assist you with greater accuracy. Please feel free to share any additional details you believe are relevant. Screenshots are especially helpful and much appreciated.

In the meantime, assuming you're using desktop app, you can force Teams to reset your profile preferences by wiping its temporary cache. Please following the steps in this guide depends on your devices: Clear the Teams client cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your patience and your understanding. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out. 

I'm looking forward to your reply. 


Note: Follow the steps in this documentation to enable email notifications if you want to receive email notifications related to this topic.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.