After replacing my motherboard, Windows 11 Pro failed activation with hardware-change error 0xC004F211. The old motherboard still activated successfully and showed: “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.” My Microsoft account also shows a completed Microsoft Store purchase for the Windows 10/11 Pro upgrade. The trouble-shooter does not find any devices that can be used to reactivate Windows.
Microsoft Support tried the troubleshooter as well. When that failed, they resorted to a custom Windows 11 Pro install. Activation still failed. The next support agent tried a custom Windows Home install. Home also failed activation, and support used commands to switch/upgrade the install back to Pro.
A Microsoft Support floor supervisor then activated my personal PC using Volume/KMS activation. slmgr /dlv showed:
Description: VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel
Product Key Channel: Volume:GVLK
Partial Product Key: T83GX
KMS machine name: kms8.msguides.com:1688
Volume activation expiration: 180 days
Interestingly, I found this same path/workaround on a shady site with tutorials on how to activate illegitimate copies of Windows for free. This is my personal self-built PC, not an organization-managed device. kms8.msguides.com is not my organization’s KMS server and is not my Microsoft Store digital license.
I removed the KMS/Volume activation myself. Current slmgr /dlv state is:
Description: RETAIL channel
Product Key Channel: Retail
Partial Product Key: 3V66T
License Status: Notification
Notification Reason: 0xC004F034
The hardware-change troubleshooter still shows no eligible devices, even though the old motherboard activated with a digital license linked to the same Microsoft account.
How can I get this escalated to Windows licensing/digital entitlement support so Microsoft can manually validate and apply my Microsoft Store Windows 10/11 Pro digital license to the replacement motherboard? Also, how do I report/review the prior Microsoft Support action that used a third-party KMS server?
NOTE: SLUI 04 and SLUI 4 do not run on this machine, for some reason. Running the command does not result in an error, simply nothing happens.
UPDATE: I was expecting a call at 11:30 that never came. I logged in to check the status, and it looks like they closed the support ticket 38 minutes after the scheduled call time. So, that's fun.