Logged in and ALL MY FILES ARE GONE

L Martin 20 Reputation points
2026-06-14T16:49:21.12+00:00

I booted up Microsoft Word like any other day and I got an error message saying "I wasn't able to log in now". I tried to troubleshoot it. I cleared the cache on Microsoft Edge. I was then able to login in. I logged in and there were no files.

I checked the personal vault. Nothing. I checked the Recycle Bin. Nothing. I made sure that I was logging in with my same phone number/email address. Nothing.

This represents years of work gone. No local backup was found. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it exist on a Microsoft server somewhere? I contact support today and still waiting on response.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2026-06-14T16:49:36.55+00:00

Based on the described behavior, the files are most likely either:

  1. Stored under a different account (different Microsoft ID, work/school vs personal), or
  2. Still present but not visible due to profile/account issues on Windows or OneDrive.

Use these checks in order:

  1. Confirm the correct Microsoft account
    • If any work/school or additional personal accounts were ever used, verify which account actually owns the Microsoft 365 subscription and documents.
    • In any Office app where sign-in still works, go to File > Account and check the account shown under Product Information and User Information. Compare this with the account currently used in Word and OneDrive.
    • If this is a work/school (Microsoft 365 for business) account, the organization admin can confirm the username and reset access if needed. See the guidance under Microsoft 365 for business for forgotten accounts.
  2. Check if files are local but hidden or under another Windows profile
    • If the PC was upgraded or a new Windows account was created, files may be under another (possibly disabled) local profile.
    • Follow the steps in Find lost files after upgrading Windows:
      • Open File Explorer, select This PC, and search for a known filename or use wildcards like *.docx.
      • If search does not find them, enable showing hidden and system files (Settings > System > Advanced > File Explorer > turn Show hidden and system files to On) and search again.
    • If a new Microsoft account was created on the PC, files might be in a disabled local Administrator profile:
      • Open Computer Management > Local Users and Groups > Users.
      • If the Administrator account has a down arrow, double-click it, clear Account is disabled, select Apply, then sign out and sign back in as Administrator and look for the files.
    • Also check whether Windows is logging in with a temporary profile (Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings). If a message indicates a temporary profile, restart (possibly more than once) until the normal profile loads; files should then reappear.
  3. Check OneDrive and its recycle bin
    • If files were stored in OneDrive, sign in to OneDrive with each possible Microsoft account that might have been used.
    • If files were accidentally deleted from OneDrive or SharePoint, they can often be restored from the OneDrive or SharePoint recycle bin using the steps in the Office error article about deleted files.
  4. Use Office’s own recovery features
    • If Word or other Microsoft 365 apps closed unexpectedly, open Word again and look for the Document Recovery pane. It lists files recovered from the last save, AutoSave (if stored on OneDrive/SharePoint), or AutoRecover.
    • Open each recovered version and save copies to a known, backed-up location.
  5. If the account itself cannot be found or has been inactive
    • If sign-in fails with messages like “account doesn’t exist” or the username is not recognized, use the Sign-in Helper tool or the Look up your Microsoft account process described under I can't sign in to my Microsoft account.
    • If the account has not been used for more than two years, it may have been deleted and cannot be reopened; in that case, data on Microsoft’s servers is no longer available.

If none of these steps locate the files and the correct account is confirmed and active, continue working with Microsoft Support, as tenant or service-side issues (for example, scheduled repairs or account-side problems) can temporarily affect access, as noted in similar Word access issues.


References:

AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. L Martin 20 Reputation points
    2026-06-14T17:04:29.7033333+00:00
    • If any work/school or additional personal accounts were ever used, verify which account actually owns the Microsoft 365 subscription and documents.

    This turned out to be the solution. I had accidentally created a brand new account and that's why the files appeared to be gone. I logged in with an old email as the username and it was there. Crisis averted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.