My Battery Full Charge Capacity & Charging Wh Is Different Than Expected

PaulyC 20 Reputation points
2026-06-12T21:41:25.56+00:00

I just got a new laptop about 4 months ago and my battery full charge capacity is different than expected. I'd expect it to be 100%, but it's now down to 91%. I don't use my new laptop that heavily. Charging Wh is different too. It's supposed to be 70.00 Wh, but now it's 63.79. I use a companion app on my laptop to check my extra internal laptop stats/stuff. Am I doing something wrong with the battery and charging by my laptop use habits or is that just a software report glitch from the companion app? I need help! TYIA!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 269.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-12T22:17:35.7566667+00:00

You probably are not doing anything seriously wrong. 70.00 Wh is the battery’s design capacity, while 63.79 Wh is the system’s current estimate of its maximum usable capacity. That works out to about 91.1% battery health.

A 9% reduction after four months is somewhat faster than ideal, but it does not automatically mean the battery is defective. Battery capacity readings are estimates and can fluctuate because of calibration, temperature, firmware, charging limits, and the companion app’s calculation. Lithium-ion batteries also naturally lose capacity over time, and heat or remaining at 100% for long periods can accelerate wear.

To verify the app’s reading, open Command Prompt as administrator and run. Then share the report if you don't mind (via OneDrive link for example).

powercfg /batteryreport

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.