Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 11
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Microsoft Edge(149.0.4022.62) fails to restore tab groups containing local file paths (C:\… or also "Networkdrive"). After restart, affected tabs are replaced by edge://newtab/, (ERR_INVALID_URL) indicating a loss of session data. Issue started recently (2-3 weeks ago) and is reproducible. Bevor it worked. Any idea what that could be?
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 11
Hello David Isler,
Your description actually matches an issue that I have seen recently with tab groups. As I see, the issues also affect Chrome, not just Edge. So the root cause of this might be lying with the Chromium engine itself.
I see that most users can restore their previous session by using the back button, can you please check and confirm that? Also. since the issue come from the engine. I'd suggest avoiding using tab groups for documents or PDF readers tabs.
I hope this clarifies.
AI answer
The behavior matches a regression in how Edge now restores tabs and tab groups, especially with local file paths, and there is no documented setting to revert to the previous behavior. Only documented, supported mitigations from the provided context can be suggested:
edge://newtab/, this is likely a product issue rather than a configuration problem.edge://settings/reset.Shift+Esc Browser Task Manager screenshots, edge://discards output) and open a support case or feedback report so the Edge team can address the regression.References: