Turn off automatic word select

David Golber 20 Reputation points
2026-06-12T01:50:05.4966667+00:00

When I click on text, Windows automatically selects the whole word. Particularly in Word. How can I turn this off? When I click somewhere, I just want the cursor to be set at the place I click.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-12T05:17:19.64+00:00

This may be caused by a mouse click speed setting, if you are using Word on a Windows device, open the old Control Panel and open the mouse applet, then try adjusting the the mouse click speed setting, because in Windows a single click should insert the cursor, a double click selects the full word and a triple click selects the whole sentence.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-06-12T05:44:15.5733333+00:00

    Which version of Word do you have? If this is the full version running under Windows, click File > Options > General and clear the option "When selecting, automatically select entire word." Confirm with OK.

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.