Matching index to populate value

Mel S 20 Reputation points
2026-06-11T13:59:02.42+00:00

I am having issues on my formula for Column A. I want the column to return yes if there is a value in the intersect of I2:H5, return no if there is no values (cell blank), and return N/A if the match doesn't exist.

Cell A5 is returning yes, but the intersect of those values (cell K2) is blank and I want this to return no. This particular issue is then raising concerns I have for my formula for Column B, where if Column A is yes, pull the actual intersect value from I2:H5

User's image

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2026-06-11T14:51:49.0833333+00:00

Hi @Mel S,

Thanks again for the clear explanation. It really helps to understand what you’re trying to achieve.

From what I can see, there might be a small misalignment in the ranges used for your lookup. It looks like your INDEX range starts from row 2 (I2:K5), while the row MATCH is referencing a range that starts from row 1 (H1:H5). This difference can sometimes cause the matched row position to shift slightly.

You could try adjusting the row MATCH range to H2:H5 so that it lines up more closely with the INDEX range. This may help the formula return the expected result when the intersecting cell is empty.

For reference, here’s a version of the formula you might want to test for Column A:

=IF(
OR($N2="",$M2=""),
"N/A",
IFERROR(
IF(
INDEX($I$2:$K$5,MATCH($N2,$H$2:$H$5,0),MATCH($M2,$I$1:$K$1,0))="",
"NO",
"YES"
),
"N/A"
)
)

And for Column B, if you’d like to return the intersect value only when Column A is "YES", you might try:

=IF($A2="YES",INDEX($I$2:$K$5,MATCH($N2,$H$2:$H$5,0),MATCH($M2,$I$1:$K$1,0)),"")

User's image Of course, this is just a suggestion based on what I’m seeing, but hopefully it points you in the right direction. Please feel free to give it a try and let me know how it goes.


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.