Just signed up for Microsoft Azure. I see this error when I attempt to login

Rytr Developer 20 Reputation points
2026-06-09T18:18:24.99+00:00

"Selected user account does not exist in tenant 'Microsoft Services' and cannot access the application 'f9885e6e-6f74-46b3-b595-350157a27541' in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Please use a different account."

I just created an account with Azure and this is really frustrating that I'm having issues with Azure Portal before I've even started using the service. Please help me resolve

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

Answer accepted by question author
Nathan Roberts (SN) 13,701 Reputation points Student Ambassador Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-09T19:06:11.4066667+00:00

Hey there, Rytr Developer

"Selected user account does not exist in tenant 'Microsoft Services' and cannot access the application 'f9885e6e-6f74-46b3-b595-350157a27541' in that tenant.

This error appears when a personal Microsoft account isn’t associated with any Azure AD/Entra ID tenant. Because the account doesn’t belong to a tenant yet, it tries to sign into the Microsoft Services tenant by default, which it isn’t allowed to access.

I just created an account with Azure and this is really frustrating that I'm having issues with Azure Portal before I've even started using the service.

When creating an Azure account, did you sign up for a subscription through the Azure website?

If not, please go to: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/purchase-options/azure-account

Choose a subscription (free trial or pay as you go) and complete the sign‑up process.

This step is important because creating a subscription automatically creates a tenant for your personal Microsoft account, which then allows you to sign into the Azure portal normally.

If you did already sign up for a subscription and still see this error, it may mean the subscription didn’t setup correctly. In that case, please check the email you used during the process to see if you are signing into the same account used for the creation.

Hope this helps,
Nathan

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.