Unable to add personal account (Gmail)

mv92 20 Reputation points
2026-06-08T22:13:56.4866667+00:00

Hi! 👋

Whenever i try to add my Gmail/Google as a personal account to the OWA Calendar I get hit by a HTTP 400:

// HTTP 400
// https://outlook.cloud.microsoft/ows/beta/ConnectedAccounts...
{
  "error": "Transient",
  "errorDescription": "BadRequest",
  "innerError": null
}


The error message presented in the webui is the following: We can't add your personal account right now. Please try again later.

All permissions have been granted in Gmail and this has been a problem for me for months now.

No changes have been made to my mailbox for several months, I work for a small company and no one has been messing around with the mailboxes in forever.

I may be wrong but I think this is a backend problem.

It used to work fine months ago but suddenly the sync stopped working so I removed the account and haven't been able to add it back ever since.

Things I tried:

  • Different Browsers (Edge/Brave/Firefox)
  • Removing the Google permissions from Microsoft
  • Changed locale settings (en-GB/en-US) etc.
  • I have tried this for several weeks.
  • I tried the desktop & mobile app, both apps lack the option to add personal accounts.

I don't want to add my personal calendar using iCal, I find that it doesn't work very well for me.

I have experienced lots of issues with reminders and other things, I rather not use iCal.

I don't know what else to do honestly.

Can someone at MSFT please look into this for me?

Outlook | Web | Outlook on the web for business | Calendar

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
Sophie N 18,175 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-06-09T00:52:06.5133333+00:00

Dear @Mohsen Vahebi,

I understand it's frustrating when a feature that used to work suddenly stops, especially after you've already tried all the common troubleshooting steps like clearing caches and browser settings.

I want to be honest with you: based on the error code and your description, this is very likely not a problem with your specific mailbox or settings. It appears to be a broader issue affecting the connection between Microsoft and Google's servers. You are not alone in experiencing this.

Could you take a screenshot to show me how you added it to Outlook web? Were there any errors, or where did those errors come from?

Microsoft officially discontinued the ability to add new Gmail accounts as "Connected Accounts" in Outlook Web Access (OWA) starting in July 2024. Even if the button is still visible, the backend system often fails to complete the connection, resulting in the HTTP 400 error and the "We can't add your personal account right now" message. Please refer to this document on the techcommunity: Keeping our Outlook Personal Email Users Safe: Reinforcing Our Commitment to Security | Microsoft C…

This is why you see no issue in the Outlook desktop app it uses a different, modern connection method but are blocked in the web version.

Unfortunately, there is no specific fix I can provide to make the web-based OWA calendar connect to your Gmail account again, as Microsoft has intentionally changed the way this works for personal accounts. I know you prefer not to use iCal, but here are the two realistic alternatives that Microsoft support currently recommends:

  1. Use the Outlook Desktop Application (Recommended): Since you mentioned the desktop app works for adding personal accounts, this is your most reliable option. The desktop version of Outlook (both classic and new) continues to support direct, modern connections to Gmail.
  2. Use the Gmailify Feature (The Reverse Approach): You can manage your Outlook/Microsoft 365 account inside your Gmail interface. Google allows you to add your Outlook account to Gmail using a feature called Gmailify. This would allow you to see your work calendar and email within your personal Gmail view.

Because this is a deliberate change to the service, a developer from Microsoft is unlikely to "fix" the web feature for an individual account. The authentic HTTP 400 error you are seeing is generated by Microsoft's server explicitly rejecting the request.

If you want to add your voice to ask more information deeply, you can raise the issue directly to Microsoft support:

  • Open a site link - Contact - Microsoft Support
  • In the box below "Tell us your problem so we can get you the right help and support.", enter MSA, click "Get Help", and then click "Contact Customer Support" below
  • In this section, you need to register a personal Microsoft account

Note: You can only use a personal MSA to register, and the company account cannot display the correct content. If the account cannot be logged in, you can use another account or create a new account to execute;

Again, I regret that I cannot offer a simple setting change to resolve this, but I hope this explanation saves you from further wasted time trying to troubleshoot a backend limitation. Please let me know if you would like help setting up the desktop application as a workaround.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest