Disabling automatic backup to OneDrive

Nigel Sharp 20 Reputation points
2026-06-08T17:50:34.6766667+00:00

I disabled Onedrive several months ago and deleted the folder.

However, I saved an image today from a third party application and then couldn't find it on my hard drive.

On closer inspection , I found that a Onedrive folder had appeared on my file directory and the only file in there was the file I had just saved!! I did not create that folder. And, it won't let me delete the OneDrive folder, because it says it is being used by another application, but doesn't say which one!

I do not get the cloud icon in my system tray, so I can't follow the disable OneDrive instructions.

In any case, I do not have the OneDrive application installed - I uninstalled it last year and it is still not on the list of programs in Control Panel. So I can't understand why my documents are being sent to a OneDrive folder at all.

I also have Office 2024 [NOT 365]. I am running on Windows11 Pro 2025 build. However, I am using it on a private home-based laptop.

I also note, in my MS Word account, it says I am connected to the "OneDrive - Personal" service. I don't want to be, and didn't ask to be connected to this service. I do not want to use cloud backup.

What is going on here and how can I terminate this automatic cloud backup, which seems to have suddenly activated itself.

It may be a co-incidence, but I also discovered that Co-Pilot was loaded to my computer a few days ago - again not at my request. I had to go in and uninstall that today.

I am the only person with access to this PC, so I have no idea how these changes are happening. It is extremely intrusive and annoying. I consider it to be an unwanted invasion of my privacy.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 269.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-08T20:22:00.94+00:00

Please type regedit in the search on the taskbar to launch registry editor, and go to this path, then take a screenshot and share in your reply.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Nigel Sharp 20 Reputation points
    2026-06-08T20:48:50.19+00:00

    User's image

    This is the screen I got from Regedit.

    I notice that it includes a reference to a OneDrive documents folder - the one I keep trying to remove!

    I also found that changing the privacy settings in Office to block connected experiences removes the cloud backup, but it also removes a lot of other useful functionality from Outlook - such as translate. Unfortunately, there is no option in those settings to remove just the cloud backup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.