Managing profiles and sync in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Today I wanted to test if remote desktop programs can launch in safe mode. Here is what I did.
Then weird things happened:
I tried resync profile, remove readonly attribute of "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default"(which has a size of 1.61GB) and restart but none of these works. Passwords and other settings remain unchanged (At least the ones I checked).
What I worry about is that my system may has been modified in other places other than Edge.
Managing profiles and sync in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Hi masseeker,
I can understand how worrying it is to see Edge looks partially “managed”, especially after booting into Safe Mode. The good news is that this points more toward Edge profile/policy corruption, than malware silently modifying the entire system.
The AI answer is actually fairly solid here, especially the temporary-profile test, because that is the fastest way to determine whether this is Edge profile corruption, or something system-wide. I would only add a few other points you can consider:
edge://policy > see if there are unexpected policies listed: If the page is empty or only shows a few normal entries, that is reassuring. If you suddenly see many/unknown ones, then something modified Edge policy storage.Personally, I do not think this looks like broad Windows corruption, since if it was damaged, you would usually also see more broken signs outside Edge. However, your concern is totally reasonable, so here’s some other things you can check to make sure:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthsfc /scannow > let it finish > restart PC.bcdeditsafeboot in the boot entry.Disclaimer: This reinstallation can fix update issues without removing your files or applications. However, we always recommend that if you have important data, you should back it up.
If possible, consider checking Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application and look for any entries around the time you entered/exited Safe Mode. That can sometimes confirm if there’s any corruption.
If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.
AI answer
Edge itself is likely corrupted, not the whole system. Safe Mode can interfere with user profiles and extensions, and a damaged Edge profile or install can cause exactly the symptoms described (sign-out, extensions treated as “unpacked,” “managed by your organization” banner).
Use the following sequence to repair Edge and the profile.
Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.msedge.exe process. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --user-data-dir="%TEMP%\edge-test-profile"
If the test profile is clean, the original profile is corrupted.
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data.Default folder to Default.old.Default profile folder is created.Bookmarks) from Default.old into the new Default folder.If the temporary profile and new profile both work normally, the issue is confined to the old Edge profile and does not indicate broader system modification.
References: