SharePoint Excel - I want columns to highlight-match the conditional format color rule that I have for the column next to it, with priority.

Paige G 20 Reputation points
2026-06-02T16:46:40.37+00:00

Hi! In SharePoint Excel, I currently have a checklist where Column D has conditionally format rule to turn green when the "true" value is clicked. I also have a rule where Column E turns yellow when the words "in progress" are written. Ideally, I would like both Column D/E to turn green when the checkbox is clicked in Column D and would also like Column D to turn yellow when Column E is in progress/turns yellow. The checkbox would never be clicked when the line item is still in progress, so there shouldn't be any overlap in color. If there was, turning yellow is the priority. Is there a way to format these columns so their highlight colors match based on each other?

Thanks so much!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hendrix-C 20,015 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-06-02T18:09:35.99+00:00

Hi @Paige G,

Please notify me if I have misunderstood anything about your request. Based on your sharing, you can make both column D and E mirror each other highlight color by using Conditional Formatting using formula across both columns. You can try this setup to see if it works in your situation:

  • For example, I select the range that I want to format is D1:E10 then go to Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules > New Rule > Use a formula to determine which cells to format
  • Add formula for yellow rule first =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("in progress", $E1)) > set the fill color to yellow > OK
  • Repeat the same step to add a second rule for green color using this formula = $D1 = TRUE > set the fill color to green > OK
  • Now go to Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules > ensure Yellow rule is set above the Green rule so yellow can take priority based on your request and check the box of "Stop If True" on the yellow rule.

User's image

User's image

Hope my sharing would be helpful for your concern. If you have any questions or need any further clarification, please leave a comment here and I will be happy to continue to help you.  

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I'm looking forward to your reply.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it.

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.