"Allow this app to make changes to your device" prompt not showing up and it just shows a dim version of my wallpaper

Brandon M 20 Reputation points
2026-06-01T23:25:19.6733333+00:00

I was following a tutorial on making my OS look more like Windows Vista, but I think I messed something up while doing so and now whenever I try to open an app that requires administrative privileges, it just shows a dim version of my wallpaper on both of my monitors. I've been using Ctrl+Alt+Delete to exit out of it, but it doesn't open the app. I'm definitely not an expert at this (or anything I'm gonna be honest) so I made an account here just to post this. Please help

Link I followed and timestamp I found this out on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXoQyohkrTE, 6:18

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Answer accepted by question author
Manoel Barros 22,045 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-02T00:22:35.3266667+00:00

Hi!

This dark screen likely refers to a UAC permission message. A window with Yes and No buttons should appear in the middle. Disconnect one of the monitors, leaving only one monitor, and see if a window with the buttons appears when the wallpaper darkens.

If the problem persists, try this: create a standard user > Log in to the new user > Run something as administrator > You will be prompted for administrator credentials. You must enter the username and password of your old user.

How ​​to create a new user

  1. Go to System Settings (CTRL + I) > Select ''Accounts'' > 'Family and other users'' > ''Add another person to this PC'.
  2. On the Accounts screen, choose the option ''I don’t have that person’s login information' > Then select ''Add a user without a Microsoft account''.
  3. Click on the newly created user > Click "Change account type" > Under Account Type, change the option "Default User" to "Administrator" > Click "OK".
  4. Enter the username, and password (optional, leave blank if you do not want to put password) > Click ''Next'.
  5. Press the shortcut CTRL + ALT + DEL (DELETE) > Select ''Exit'' option > On the Login screen, choose the new user created.
  6. See if the problem will occur with this new user.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.