Page numbers gone in all my Word documents

Richard W 20 Reputation points
2026-06-01T19:54:43.3266667+00:00

Since the last update, all my Word documents that I added page numbers to, now just say: {PAGE}

I have tried several different things such as deleting page numbers, adding a number, etc. I have also gone online looking for solutions but everything is dated prior to 2026. Also, Microsoft support had been extremely lacking in answering questions, or allowing others ways to interact with Microsoft.

What can be done?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS

Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-01T19:59:30.71+00:00

You are seeing field codes. In Word for Mac, use Option+F9 to show/hide field codes and revert to field results.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.