Unable to Verify Identity for Azure Login – Error 399287 (Admin Lockout)

Bányai Tamás 20 Reputation points
2026-06-01T07:15:19.98+00:00

Hello @Raja Pothuraju , @Givary-MSFT , and @Harshitha Eligeti

I am facing the exact same "Catch-22" issue with the PhoneReputation block on my Global Admin account. I am completely locked out of my tenant (<pii removed>) and cannot access Partner Center because the SMS is blocked. I cannot login to change the MFA method to Authenticator.

Can you please engage the backend engineering team to remove the bad reputation block on my number so I can authenticate? This is severely impacting our business.

Here are my details:

Target Account: <pii removed>

Contact Email (I have full access to this): <PII REMOVED>

Error Code: 399287

Request Id: <PII REMOVED>

Correlation Id: <PII REMOVED>

Timestamp: 2026-05-27T09:10:33Z

Please let me know if you can PM me or connect offline to resolve this. Thank you!

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

Answer accepted by question author
Shubham Sharma 17,930 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-06-01T07:40:13.03+00:00

Bányai Tamás

Thank you for sharing your details via private message.

I’ve reached out to the engineering team regarding the MFA issue on your account. They have now unblocked it from the backend and cleared the bad reputation associated with it. You should be able to log in to the Azure Portal without any issues.

Please try signing in and verify if you can complete SMS authentication successfully. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

As a best practice, I recommend registering the Microsoft Authenticator method for your account instead of relying on SMS. SMS and voice call authentication methods are more vulnerable to IRSF attacks (telephony fraud) and are generally less secure.

For better practice, I recommend registering with Microsoft Authenticator method to your account instead of SMS method as these SMS/Voice telecom auth methods are susceptible to IRSF attacks telephony fraud.

If the resolution was helpful, please take a moment to accept the answer and upvote it 👍 to make it helpful to the community.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Q&A!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.