Mail merge preview isn't working

Karen Ross 20 Reputation points
2026-05-31T01:13:23.1133333+00:00

I have prepared a mail merge from an Excel file. The PREVIEW RESULTS is not working. If I Finish & Merge the documents, the merge occurs as expected. I have to tweak some formatting and being able to preview the results without doing a Finish and Merge would be helpful. The Preview Results is not grayed out.

I'm working in Microsoft 365.Screenshot 2026-05-30 210934

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows

Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-05-31T01:17:37.76+00:00

Your screen shot shows that you are displaying field codes instead of field results. Press Alt+F9 (Alt+Fn+F9 on some machines) to toggle the display.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.