Unable to open Excel files after restart

Phillip Richcreek 1,125 Reputation points
2026-05-30T21:36:49.75+00:00

unable to open excel filesI I think the problem occurs only after a Windows restart.
I've posted the issue here in the past, but I can't find it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
John Jefferson Doyon 88,820 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-05-30T22:20:27.4366667+00:00

Hi, I'm John! I will help you with this.

May I know what troubleshooting steps have you already taken?

Have you tried manual repair instead? If you haven't tried it yet, please follow the steps below.


If you haven't tried anything yet please start by:

Perform hard shutdown:

Before proceeding with the steps below, please ensure that you've saved any unsaved tasks or documents.

  • Press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, or until the screen turns off, release the power button and wait for about 30 seconds.
  • After 30 seconds, press the power button again to turn on your device.

If issue still persists:

Repair Office apps:

  • Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
  • Find Microsoft 365 or Office in the list, select it, then choose Change > Quick Repair.
  • If that doesn’t help, run the repair again but select Online Repair instead.

Check for updates:

  • Open any Office app (if it opens even briefly), go to File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.
  • Restart your device after repair and try opening the apps again.

If the apps still don’t open, please let me know if you’re using Microsoft 365 or a one-time purchase version (like Office 2021), so I can guide you with the next specific steps.


Let me know how it goes or if you have any further questions or concerns.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.