How to adjust headings column width within Outlook (new Outlook for Windows)

David Jackson 0 Reputation points
2026-05-30T17:52:01.41+00:00

I've only had this HP PC a few months and the touch pad is extremely sensitive.

In Outlook, the columns have become exceptionally wide, I don't know how this happened and I can't seem to restore them.

The left column, Inbox, Sent, Files and so on is now at least twice as wide as it was

The From column is about 10x wider than before, no exaggeration

The Subject column is about 2 page widths

The Received column is the width of the computer screen.

The above is with text size normal

Outlook now covers the width of 3-4 screens. Crazy

Seemingly, I can not "click and drag" to reduce column widths. I've tried a plug-in mouse but to no avail.

All other Windows are unchanged. I've shutdown and restarted the PC but Outlook remains

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.


Moderator note: thread updated with Outlook version (new Outlook for Windows)

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

Answer recommended by moderator
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP] 18,406 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-01T08:01:01.9433333+00:00

What is your exact version number of New Outlook?

File-> About Outlook

I tried to repro the issue, but I have issues with resizing the columns;
image

When you right-click on the column header, do you have the "Resize" command?

User's image

In case you don't like the column view, you can configure Outlook to force the multi-line layout regardless of the available Message List width; Settings-> Mail-> Layout-> Message height-> Always use multiple rows

User's image

Was this answer helpful?


2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,705 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-05-30T19:19:27.2833333+00:00

    Hi, I'm Rodrigo, and I will help you.
    Try restoring the view settings to the default.
    Go to View on the top bar > View Settings > Reset Current View

    User's image

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Rodrigo Queiroz 78,705 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-06-01T01:26:39.32+00:00

    Try dragging the New Outlook window borders to reduce the window size. After reducing the New Outlook window, try reducing the columns by dragging from the column border.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.