Hi thanks for the help but it was actually just the XMP profile I had turned on was underperforming my pc. When I turned it back to default everything worked fine
Settings App is slow and laggy on a good pc, have tried almost every step online
Similar to a post from 5 years ago, the problem still persists. For about 3 months now, only my settings app is running slow and laggy, everything else works fine. I have 32GB Ram, intel core i7 12700K and an RTX 3080 using windows 11. I was wondering if there is a fix. I have tried re-registering, sfc /scannow, DISM updating bios and firmware, removed backgrounds apps, removed startup apps, checked hardware, booted in safemode and a windows repair upgrade and none of them worked. The last thing I haven't tried is a clean install and I'm reluctant to do it as its only the settings app. Is it just the app or is there something wrong with my pc?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings
1 additional answer
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Clary-N 16,465 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-05-30T01:08:31.0866667+00:00 Hi Jordan Bonz,
Thanks for detailing all the troubleshooting you’ve already done, that really helps narrow things down.
Just to better understand your setup, could you let me know which method you used for the Windows repair upgrade? For example, was it done through Windows Update, the Installation Assistant, or using an ISO/Media Creation Tool?
Also, when you mentioned updating the BIOS and firmware, could you share how those updates were performed (e.g., manually from the device manufacturer’s tool or Windows Update)?
Since the issue seems limited to the Settings app, one quick check we can do is to see whether it’s related to your current user profile. Please try creating a new local user account and test the Settings app there:
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Other users
- Click Add account then select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information > Add a user without a Microsoft account
- Enter a username and password, then click Next
- Sign in with the new account and open the Settings app
If the Settings app runs normally in the new account, it would indicate the issue is likely tied to your original user profile rather than the system itself.
Looking forward to your update.
If you have additional questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: If you want to receive email notifications about this thread, follow the steps in our documentation to enable email notifications.