Hi B Beauregard,
I understand that you’d like the files inside a folder to show the same headers (such as Name, Date created, Year, Size). I’m happy to clarify how this works and help you set it up.
Windows doesn’t automatically copy the header layout from a parent folder to its subfolders. Instead, it saves the column layout based on the folder type, which is why different folders can show different headers.
You can make them consistent by setting the layout once and applying it:
- Open a folder and switch to Details view
- Right‑click the column header to add/remove fields (Name, Date created, Year, Size, etc.)
- Arrange them as you prefer
- Click the… (three dots) menu > Options
- Go to the View tab > click Apply to folders > OK
This applies the same layout to other folders of the same type.
If some folders still look different, they may be using a different folder type. You can align them by:
- Right‑click the folder > Properties > Customize
- Set Optimize this folder for: General items
- Check Also apply this template to all subfolders, then click OK
To assist you further, could you please share your Windows version?
You can check by pressing Windows + R, typing winver and sending a screenshot of the result.
Also, I noticed the AI answer suggested earlier in the thread. If you haven’t already, please feel free to give it a try as well.
I hope this points you in the right direction. If anything still doesn’t behave as expected, just let me know and I’ll be happy to help further.
If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.