How do I move from a Family 365 Subscription to a standalone private subscription

Iain 20 Reputation points
2026-05-28T16:48:41.8133333+00:00

I currently access MS products using a family subscription with my email address as the user name. I want to create a standalone personal 365 subscription using the same email / username and separate myself from the old family subscription but for it to be seamless i.e. not lose xBox data / user etc. I have nothing saved on the OneDrive so that isn't a concern, but I don't want to lose my XBox user data or to have to use another email for MS 365 access.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Xavier-D 13,660 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-05-29T01:43:40.11+00:00

Hello Iain

I can see that you want to move from a Family 365 Subscription to a standalone private subscription

You can usually do this without changing your current Microsoft account, which is the best way to keep your existing Xbox profile, gamertag, purchases, and game progress tied to the same identity. Those items do not transfer between different personal Microsoft accounts.

Here is what you can do:

  • Keep using the same email/Microsoft account you already use for Microsoft 365.
  • If your Microsoft 365 access is currently shared from someone else’s Family plan, ask the subscription owner to stop sharing it with you. Once sharing stops, the shared Microsoft 365 benefits end, but you can then purchase your own subscription on the same account.
  • Sign in with that same account and purchase Microsoft 365 Personal. Using the same account helps make the change more seamless and keeps your existing account-based services attached to that profile.

Feel free reply back to this post if you need further assistance, I'll be happy to help.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.