Hi, you need to open the Run command:
Or manually look for the file folder on your File Explorer:
Go to C: > Users > click your Username >AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Recent > AutomaticDestinations
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Windows 11 File Explorer crash every time I click on a ZIP file. How to I fix/further trouble shoot this issue
Hi, you need to open the Run command:
Or manually look for the file folder on your File Explorer:
Go to C: > Users > click your Username >AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Recent > AutomaticDestinations
Hi, I'm Bernard. I'm happy to help!
Does it all happen to all Zip files? Is it happening to a specific file? If it's happening to all, let us clear the cache of the file explorer and follow the steps below:
Method 1. Clear the cache of File Explorer
Open Run Command ( Press Windows key + R)
Copy, paste, and enter the file path below:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
Delete everything inside the AutomaticDestinations folder
Restart the PC and check.
Method 1. Do a clean boot:
A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program.
Troubleshooting reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Note: This is a public forum. I may respond shortly, but I apologize in advance for any delays. I am simply a fellow user trying to provide helpful insights and information.
AI answer
Use the built-in Windows troubleshooting steps for File Explorer and Windows Explorer crashes, focusing on system integrity and performance settings.
sfc /scannow
feedback-hub:) to report the issue so it can be investigated.References:
Found the cause and the fix. My File Explorer crashed specifically when clicking/opening ZIP archives. Event Viewer showed:
Faulting application name: explorer.exe
Faulting module name: ADFSMenu.dll, version: 4.0.1.95
Exception code: 0xc0000005
ADFSMenu.dll belongs to Adobe Drive CS4 (an old sync component from Adobe Creative Suite 4). It stays registered as a shell/context-menu extension even long after CS4 itself was supposedly removed, and it crashes Explorer's context menu handling, which shows up specifically when interacting with archives.
Fix: Settings > Apps > Installed apps, find "Adobe Drive CS4" (or "Adobe Master Suite CS4") and uninstall it. Worked immediately for me, no crashes since.
If it's not listed under Installed apps (leftover orphaned registration), use ShellExView from Nirsoft to find and disable the ADFSMenu.dll shell extension instead, then restart explorer.exe.