My outlook app on my android phone stopped updating (no new emails since 3 days ago).

Daniel Peterson 20 Reputation points
2026-04-26T12:47:03.97+00:00

My outlook app on my android phone stopped updating (no new emails since 3 days ago). So i uninstalled but when i reinstalled it just has a spinning circle after I added my account email.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For business

Answer accepted by question author
Ian-Ng 14,175 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-04-26T16:36:40.8066667+00:00

Hi @Daniel Peterson,

I hope you have a great day.

Based on your information, your Outlook for Android application has ceased syncing new emails over the past three days. Furthermore, following an attempt to resolve this by reinstalling the application, the setup process remains unresponsive, displaying a continuous loading icon immediately after your email address is submitted. 

To assist in narrowing down the root cause of this connectivity failure, I would appreciate your response to the following questions: 

  • Could you please provide the specific model of your Android device and the version of the operating system it is currently running? 
  • Have you verified if your mailbox remains accessible and fully synchronized when logging in via the Outlook Web application on a desktop browser? 
  • Does the "spinning circle" persist if you attempt the login while alternating between a Wi-Fi connection and your mobile data? 
  • Are you experiencing similar authentication or synchronization issues with other Microsoft 365 mobile applications, such as Teams or OneDrive, on this same device? 

In the meantime, I recommend performing the following troubleshooting steps to address potential local software conflicts: 

  1. Reset the affected account in Outlook mobile
    • By opening Outlook > Settings > tap the affected account > Reset Account.
    • Then wait a moment to see whether email starts syncing again.
  2. Delete the account from Outlook and add it again.
    • By going to Settings > tap the affected account > Delete Account > Delete From This Device.
    • Then add the account back through the normal Outlook for Android setup flow.
  3. Turn off battery saver / power optimization and allow Outlook-related Microsoft apps to run in the background.

Please that on some Android devices, these restrictions can prevent Outlook from adding the account correctly or syncing new messages. If you use Microsoft Authenticator or Company Portal, open that app first, then open Outlook again.

Thank you for your patience as we work to restore your mobile email access. I look forward to receiving the requested details so we may proceed with the next steps.


Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?


5 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ian-Ng 14,175 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-04-28T20:32:02.31+00:00

    Hi @John Roxborogh @Carl Underwood, @Pattee Drager,

    Thank you for your updates and detailed reports. Based on the information shared, the issue is likely related to a recent Samsung update, which may cause certain Microsoft applications to not function correctly. I understand that some of the suggestions provided may not fully resolve the issue or apply to all Samsung devices.

    In this situation, it would be best to engage with experts in the Samsung community and wait for an official announcement or fix from Samsung.

    I appreciate your understanding and patience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. John Roxborogh 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-27T21:35:02.3066667+00:00

    Seems we are all waiting for Samsung to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Carl Underwood 5 Reputation points
    2026-04-27T20:06:15.2833333+00:00

    I'm having the same issue. I can get Outlook to sync if I remove the updates for "Android System WebView" and reinstall them. But that only works for one opening of Outlook. Once I close it and reopen it, I get the same spinning circle again until I repeat the Android System WebView removal/update process. Sometimes I can swipe up to terminate Outlook and it will sync when I open it again, but sometime that won't work and the only other solution is to repeat the Android System WebView trick or reboot the phone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  4. Ian-Ng 14,175 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-04-26T23:01:06.5+00:00

    Hi @Daniel Peterson,

    Thank you for your response. After reviewing this on my side, it seems to a WebView regression caused by the Samsung April 2026 security update.

    You can resolve this by following the steps below:

    1. Go to Settings > search for Android System WebView > select App details in store > choose Remove updates.
    2. Restart the device.
    3. Return to Settings > Android System WebView > App details in store > select Update.
      Note: If Android System WebView does not appear in the app list, navigate to: Settings > Google > All services > System services > select Android System WebView.
    4. Restart the device again, then launch Teams or Outlook and sign in.

    If you use any system-wide VPN, "Private DNS" settings, or ad-blocking software (like AdGuard), please disable them temporarily. These can occasionally block the specific Microsoft authentication URLs required for the initial handshake.

    Please let me know once you’ve tried these steps. If the issue persists, feel free to reach out for further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.