I payed to change gamertag and it changed it but only one the other was a name I didn’t choose so I had to pay twice to change it to what I wanted.

2026-03-17T02:30:29.65+00:00

I payed to change my gamertag it changed one of the tags to what I wanted but the other was a gamertag I had a while back so I had to pay twice and change it to what I wanted. Now I can’t request refund for the purchase.


Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | Other | Other

Windows for home | Other | Gaming
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-17T02:30:41.1733333+00:00

    For a paid gamertag change that did not give the expected result and where the refund option is not appearing, the only supported paths are:

    1. Check the charge and purchase details
      • Sign in to the Microsoft account used for the purchase.
      • Go to the Manage your payments section from your account dashboard to confirm the exact charge and item. You can use the guidance under “If you don't recognize a charge on your account, you can now investigate it on the Manage your payments page of your Microsoft account dashboard. Learn more.” in the refund article.
    2. Try the standard digital refund flow
      • Refunds for digital items (including Xbox-related purchases) are limited: “Digital goods like apps, games, add-on content, subscriptions, movies, TV shows, and books aren't refundable unless the offer or applicable law states that you're eligible for a refund.”
      • For Xbox-related purchases, use the Xbox refund flow described under How to request a refund for Microsoft Store games on a Windows PC:
        1. Go to the Xbox support page to Request a refund for digital games and sign in.
        2. Select the relevant item and choose Request a refund.
        3. Provide the reasons and submit.
      • If the system does not show the gamertag-change transaction as refundable, it is likely not eligible under the automated policy.
    3. Contact Microsoft support directly
      • If the online refund option is unavailable but the charge is recent and the result was not what was expected, contact Microsoft Store or Xbox support and explain that two gamertag-change charges were made because the first change applied incorrectly.
      • If online returns are not available or the item does not appear in the refund tool, the guidance is: “If you cannot request a return online, please contact Sales support.”
    4. Be aware of policy limits
      • Refunds for digital services and one-time changes are not guaranteed and are subject to the Microsoft Terms of Sale.
      • If support confirms the purchase is not refundable under policy, no further self-service option exists.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.