How to set calendar notification to stay visible on my PC screen for 24 hours or until I dismiss them

Chris Byrd 50 Reputation points
2026-03-14T16:39:13.7133333+00:00

I have looked everywhere, and the answers are all the same. The instructions tell me to set the Display duration to my desired length, but then it doesn't allow me to change the duration to the length I want, which is either to stay on the screen until I dismiss them or to stay on the screen at least 24 hours. That is the purpose of notifications: to notify you of an event. It is not to check a box to say you were notified or not work at all. Notifications that disappear or never show up are not being notified of anything at all. That is what you are doing when you say check is in the mail. You are just creating subdifuse to stall or give you time to think of something. I want my notification slapping me in the face so I don't forget to be hidden from me, so that I not only miss the appointment I am being notified of, but if I happen to stumble on where the notification was hidden, it is slapping me in the face then, but for a different reason. It is telling me that I tried to use the notifications to remind myself, but the notifications either didn't work or didn't stay on my screen until I dismissed them. That old app Mail, which was sunset because it was no longer needed, did this perfectly. If Outlook is so much better, why can't it do the one thing the app mail did so well? I have not gotten a trustworthy reminder since the day Mail was discontinued. I miss things now because I can't add them to my calendar and forget about them until they pop up on my screen. Because guess what. I don't look at my screen 24/7, so I might not look at my screen for 5 minutes in a 24-hour day. So, why did the mail that did this perfectly get replaced by Outlook, which can't do it at all? In my eyes, the wrong app was sunsetted, So How can I get back the Notification functionality to stay on my screen until I click on it, or at least for 24 hours? I basically have to set a notification to stay on my screen for 5 minutes and then set new notifications every five minutes or so apart to get messages to appear on my screen. That is crazy. Mail did exactly what I needed, and Outlook, I can't figure out what is so good about Outlook, because it either doesn't work, or when it does work, it is only halfway working, because one great thing about Outlook is you could have multiple calendars, but the notifications, if you call them that only work for the default calendar. The other calendars are useless. Because the purpose of the calendar was to remind you, and Outlook just doesn't do it. I couldn't care less about the 5 minutes a notification stays on the screen, other than the fact that 5 minutes is the longest a notification will stay on my screen. That is a problem. Give me an option to leave notifications on the screen until I click on them; it doesn't have to be the only choice, but 5 seconds to 5 minutes is a legitimate choice to me in the first place because I don't have a smartphone I stare at 24/7 to get the notifications. Give me an option in the list as well to stay on the screen until I turn it off. Is that too much for it to do? Mail did it just fine, and Mail was sunset and replaced by Outlook, which doesn't do it at all. That makes no sense to me.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accessibility
0 comments No comments

Answer recommended by moderator
Chris Byrd 50 Reputation points
2026-03-18T22:48:37.28+00:00

I think I have an acceptable workaround for this issue, and I am testing it right now. I currently have a notification I set up in Calendar as a reminder, and I posted it to appear on my screen.

I read all the documentation on how the notifications can only be set to 5 minutes, and also the three different ways to set them up

  1. Setting up Notifications in systems that limit notifications to be between 5 seconds and 5 minutes.
  2. Setting up Notifications in apps, which also limits notifications to between 5 seconds and 5 minutes.
  3. The third option was to use regedit to set the time a notification stays on the screen, and I did the following:
  4. Click the Windows key and type regedit
  5. Open the Registry editor and navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility
  6. Opened Dword MessageDuration
  7. Changed the value to Decimal, and the number would be 300 if the value was set for 5 minutes.
  8. Changed the number to 86400, which is the number of seconds in 24 hours".
  9. Closed the registry and rebooted
  10. Set up a test notification, and as far as I can tell, it is working as long as Microsoft doesn't send a change to reset it or something else doesn't reset it.

I am not going to watch it for 24 hours to see if my test stays on the screen for 24 hours, which is not really what I wanted it to do in the first place, but was the only way I could tell someone a time that is greater than 5 minutes and stays up until I acknowledge it. But my notification has stayed on my screen now for 90 minutes, which, according to the advice above, is impossible. Which is kind of correct until you look for an answer that is not there and find one that works for you. I am not the only person who thinks 5 minutes is too short a time for a message to stay on a screen, as I read many comments from people with the exact issue I was having, and this is a solution to make banners stay on the screen for longer than 5 minutes so if you look hard enough and want something bad enough there is always a way to make it happen. Not the recommended way, I would have liked to do this, but it works for me right now. The little bell telling you to look in the notification center to see what you missed is just not loud enough for me to hear it and check as soon as the bell goes solid, indicating there is an unread notification. I don't always see the bell, but I always see the Banner, and my notifications are just too important to trust to just changing the color of a bell to indicate I have an unanswered notification. The bell may be silent for hours or all day without me noticing it, because I run stuff full screen on my desktop, and the bell doesn't show, but the banners do. So the banners are loud enough that I have to notice them. I miss the bell frequently.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. robin billups 0 Reputation points
    2026-06-17T18:06:08.8033333+00:00

    You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead. when I attempt to align Zoom and my Outlook calendar notifications.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Lychee-Ng 28,815 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-03-16T11:10:12.2533333+00:00

    Hi Chris Byrd,

    I understand you want calendar notifications to be more effective, by either remaining on screen until you dismiss them, or staying visible for at least a day. Unfortunately, I need to be very up front with you:

    In Windows 11, standard notification “toasts” have a maximum on‑screen duration (up to 5 minutes) and cannot be kept permanently visible by design.

    At the moment, Windows’ built-in notification system does not offer “stay until dismissed” or longer visible toasts. For that specific requirement, you would need a dedicated (third-party) reminder/alert tool that supports persistent overlays.

    In addition, you may submit a feature request via the Windows Feedback Hub (pressing Win + F) so the product team can look into this, and consider adding support for persistent, dismiss‑only notifications like what you’re looking for.

    I know this isn’t the answer you wanted, but I think it’s better to be direct so you won’t waste time looking for settings that don't exist. Thanks for reading.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.