Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

Gattyán László 0 Reputation points
2026-03-11T16:27:09.38+00:00

@Anonymous

Hello Microsoft Community,

I’m the only Global Administrator on our Microsoft Entra ID tenant.

I recently attempted to disable MFA from the Admin Portal after not receiving push notifications from Microsoft Authenticator. However, after making this change, I was completely locked out of my account.

I can no longer receive push notifications or verification codes on the Microsoft Authenticator app. I do not have access to any alternate MFA methods (SMS, email, or backup admin).

I have the password to the admin account, but I am in a circular loop of trying to authenticate the access. Even trying to log a ticket, I need to get into the account to do it but I can't authenticate the access.

If needed, I can provide subscription or invoice information and verify my identity in any other way necessary.

@Raja Pothuraju I have seen you help other individuals on this issue. Can you please help me connect with the Data Protection team too?

This is a critical issue as I am the only admin on the tenant, and I am now unable to manage or access our Microsoft 365 services.

Thanks,

Laszlo

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Entra ID

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-11T16:27:34.2333333+00:00

    This scenario is a tenant lockout where the only Global Administrator is unable to complete MFA and there is no alternate method or backup admin available. Recovery requires Microsoft’s Data Protection / Tenant Recovery process via a support ticket; it cannot be fixed from the portals alone.

    Follow these steps:

    1. Confirm there is truly no other Global Admin
      If there is any other Global Administrator in the tenant, that admin can reset MFA for the locked-out account:
      • Sign in to the Microsoft Entra admin center.
      • Go to Users → All users → select the locked-out admin account.
      • Open Authentication methods.
      • Select Require re-register multifactor authentication.
        Next sign-in for that admin will prompt for fresh MFA setup.
    2. If there is no other Global Admin (your case)
      This is a tenant lockout with a single Global Admin. In this situation, Microsoft’s Data Protection team must verify identity and reset MFA/restore access. To reach them:
      1. Call Microsoft support using the official business support phone number for the region:
        Use Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support as listed in the context.
      2. When calling, clearly state:
        • This is a business / company Microsoft 365 or Entra ID tenant.
        • You are the only Global Administrator.
        • You are locked out due to MFA (Authenticator not working, no alternate methods).
        • You need a service request and escalation to the Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team to reset MFA / restore access.
      3. Be prepared to provide:
        • Admin UPN (sign-in email) for the locked tenant.
        • Tenant domain name.
        • Subscription or invoice details and any business verification documents requested.
      In some regions, the phone system uses an automated assistant. Typical flow (adapt as needed):
      • Problem type: say “Authenticator” or “Multi-factor authentication”.
      • Product: “Office 365 for business” or “Microsoft 365 for business”.
      • Account type: “Company account”.
      • Are you an admin?: “Yes”.
      • Any other admins?: “No, I am the only Global Administrator.”
      • When asked about a service request: “Yes, I need to create a ticket and speak with the Data Protection team.”
    3. If the tenant was purchased via a partner/reseller
      If the Microsoft 365 subscription came through a CSP/partner, and the Global Admin cannot open a ticket:
      • Contact the partner’s support and ask them to open a Microsoft support request on behalf of the tenant for tenant lockout / MFA lockout for only Global Admin.
    4. Optional: create a temporary trial tenant to open a ticket
      If direct phone support is difficult to reach, another pattern used in similar cases is:
      • Create a new, separate Microsoft 365 trial tenant (this does not give access to the locked tenant’s data).
      • Sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center of the trial tenant.
      • Go to Support → Help & support and open a ticket describing:
        • That the issue is with a different existing tenant.
        • You are the only Global Admin on that locked tenant.
        • You are MFA-locked out and need Data Protection / Tenant Recovery assistance.

    Once Data Protection verifies ownership, they can reset MFA or otherwise restore access to the Global Admin account so tenant management can resume.

    After recovery, configure:

    • At least two Global Admin accounts with different credentials and MFA methods.
    • Emergency/break-glass accounts excluded from Conditional Access and with strong passwords, as recommended in the tenant lockout guidance.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.