Xbox Series X stuck on "The device is being processed" error when trying to activate Dev Mode

Pablo Espinoza 20 Reputation points
2026-03-09T20:22:16.5033333+00:00

I'm trying to activate Developer Mode on my Xbox Series X (retail mode) but I'm getting the following error when opening the Dev Mode Activation app: "The operation can't be performed because the device is being processed" Here's what happened step by step: 1. I activated Dev Mode on my console 2 days ago successfully. 2. When trying to add a tester account, I got an error. 3. To fix it, I removed the console from Microsoft Partner Center through the web portal. 4. The console was removed immediately from Partner Center. 5. Now, when I try to register the console again using the Dev Mode Activation app (from retail mode), I get the error above. What I have already tried: - Hard reset (holding power button 10 seconds + unplugging power cable) - Full console restore (keeping apps and games) - Uninstalling and reinstalling the Dev Mode Activation app - Waiting over 36 hours since the console was removed from Partner Center The console's Device ID and hardware have not changed. It seems like Microsoft's backend still has the device stuck in a processing state. Is there any way to manually clear this state, or do I need to wait longer? How long does it typically take for the device to be fully released after removal from Partner Center?

Microsoft Partner Center | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-09T20:22:27.3533333+00:00

    The backend behavior and timing for reusing an Xbox console after removing it from Partner Center are not documented in the provided material, and there is no documented way here to manually clear a “being processed” state or a specific wait time before re‑registering the same device.

    The only directly relevant guidance in the context is:

    • How to switch between Retail Mode and Developer Mode on the console itself (using Dev Home and the Leave developer mode button).
    • How to deactivate a console from the Developer Program when you no longer have access to it (via Partner Center), and how to leave Developer Mode locally if Partner Center deactivation has already been done.

    From the context:

    • If a console is still in Developer Mode after leaving the Developer Program in Partner Center, the documented recovery path is to start Dev Home on the console and select Leave developer mode, which restarts the console into Retail Mode.
    • If a console was sold or is no longer accessible, it can be deactivated in Partner Center under Deactivate your console using Partner Center.

    However, there is no information here about:

    • Error messages like “The operation can't be performed because the device is being processed” in the Dev Mode Activation app.
    • Any required delay or typical processing time after removing a console from Partner Center before it can be re‑added.
    • Any documented method to force-clear or reset a backend processing state for Dev Mode activation.

    Because those details are not present in the context, no further specific steps or timelines can be provided here.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.