Can’t log into a Xbox account due to the email

Josiah King 0 Reputation points
2026-03-07T20:56:28.8733333+00:00

So several months ago, I was trying to transfer a Minecraft world from Xbox to PlayStation. At the time, I couldn’t figure it out. In the process of me trying to transfer it, I logged in and out of my account on Minecraft several times. This sent an alert email of some sort to my dad who decided to put a password to access Minecraft and the Xbox account in general. I didn’t really mind at the time as I decided to play other games on the PlayStation. Fast forward to now and I’m trying to transfer it again. I now realize you have to use realms to do that. So I try to load onto my Xbox account and it requires the password in addition to the usual key. I go to ask my dad if he remembers the password and he doesn’t. I tell him what email it is and he tells me it is linked to our old Wi-Fi and we no longer have access to it. So I try to do the email recovery form but it keeps failing as he doesn’t remember enough info about the email. So now I can’t log into that account and access any of my games and all of their save data. I tried contacting both Microsoft and the Wi-Fi company’s customer support but both didn’t go very far. What should I do?

Windows for home | Other | Gaming
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-07T20:56:47.64+00:00

    Because the email and password for the Microsoft/Xbox account can’t be recovered, only the official self-service recovery options can be used; support cannot bypass them or unlock the account.

    Actionable options are:

    1. Try all official recovery options again
      • Use the Sign-in Helper first: Sign-in Helper. This checks the account and guides through the right path (password reset, username lookup, or recovery).
      • If the password is simply forgotten but the username is correct, use Recover your account: Recover your account and follow the steps to get a security code and set a new password.
      • If the email/username is not recognized or “account doesn’t exist” appears, follow the guidance in My username and password have stopped working and I can’t sign in to my Microsoft account.
    2. Use the Microsoft account recovery form (ACSR) correctly
      • If normal reset fails and the account still exists, fill out the Account recovery form: Account recovery form.
      • Before filling it out, follow the guidance in Help with the Microsoft account recovery form:
        • Use a device and location that were used before with this account (same Xbox/PC, same home network if possible).
        • Provide a working alternate email (can be a new Outlook.com address) where Microsoft can contact.
        • Gather as much info as possible about the account: old passwords, approximate creation date, Xbox usage, purchases, Outlook/Hotmail details, etc. The more accurate detail, the better.
        • Answer every question and use all “add more” options. Wrong guesses do not count against the request.
      • Microsoft reviews the form and responds within about 24 hours. If denied, it can be updated and resubmitted with better information.
    3. Understand hard limits
      • If two-step verification was enabled on that account and none of the verification methods (old email/phone) are accessible, support is not allowed to reset or change the security info. In that case, the account cannot be recovered.
      • If the account has been inactive for more than two years, it may have been deleted and cannot be reopened.
      • Microsoft support (phone/chat) and community forums cannot override these security checks or manually unlock the account.
    4. If recovery fails
      • If the Sign-in Helper, password reset, and the recovery form all fail, there is no supported way to regain access to that specific Microsoft/Xbox account or its cloud saves.
      • For Minecraft specifically, if the Microsoft account cannot be recovered, the linked entitlements and worlds on that account cannot be moved. A new Microsoft account would be needed for future play, but previous saves on the old account would remain inaccessible.

    In summary, the only path is to:

    1. Use the Sign-in Helper and standard reset flow; then
    2. Carefully complete the Microsoft account recovery form with as much accurate historical data as possible from a familiar device/location. If those do not succeed, the account and its data cannot be recovered.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.