Why do I keep having to 'sign-in'? It won't let me purchase.

2026-03-03T06:19:11.5633333+00:00

Hi,

I am being sent on a continuous sign-in loop and occasionally it lets me in but I don't have a subscription because I did a disk cleanup on my Mac and now I cannot access my Microsoft Office 2019 programs. I am being prompted to buy a subscription (NO) and I want to make the one-time purchase of the Office suite but it wants me to sign-in again (and endlessly) using a passkey. I hate passkey but I begrudgingly set it up for this and it still won't work. Just take my money and give me the programs back - I am a teacher and I need them (and I STILL DONT WANT 365 - they are garbage versions of the programs!)
Help!


Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For education | MacOS.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-03T06:19:26.9266667+00:00

    To get back to a one-time-purchase Office and stop the sign-in loop, follow these steps in order:

    1. Confirm that Office 2019 is (or was) really a one-time purchase on the account
      • Go to Subscriptions and sign in with each Microsoft account that might have been used.
      • If Office 2019 (or another one-time Office license) does not appear under that account, the email being used is not associated with that license.
    2. Turn off any Microsoft 365 subscription offers
      If a Microsoft 365 trial or subscription is attached to the account and is confusing activation, turn off recurring billing so it will not keep trying to use 365:
      • Sign in to Subscriptions.
      • For any Microsoft 365 subscription shown, select Turn off recurring billing.
    3. Buy a new one-time Office license (if needed)
      If there is no existing Office 2019/one-time license on any account, a new one-time purchase is required:
      • Purchase a one-time Office product (for example, Office 2021 one-time purchase) from the official Office site or store.
      • After purchase completes, do not choose Microsoft 365; choose the one-time Office product.
    4. Install Office and switch the license to the one-time purchase
      After the one-time purchase is associated with the correct Microsoft account:
      • On the Mac, sign out of all Office apps.
      • Open Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. When prompted to sign in, use the same Microsoft account that shows the one-time Office license under Subscriptions.
      • If the app still offers Microsoft 365, use the in-app option to switch your license to the one-time purchase associated with that account.
    5. If Office keeps asking to sign in on Mac
      If there are repeated sign-in prompts or “authentication expired” type behavior on Mac, there may be a local keychain/credential issue. Follow the steps in the keychain-reset article referenced in the context to clear Office’s stored credentials and then sign in again with the account that owns the one-time license.

    If the purchase flow itself keeps looping sign-in in the browser, try:

    • Ensuring cookies are enabled and not blocked.
    • Using a different browser or a private/incognito window.
    • Verifying that the Microsoft account profile (name, address, phone, etc.) is fully filled out before attempting the purchase again.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.