Having trouble with OneNote for iPad, any plans for big updates?

Bianca Muro 20 Reputation points
2026-02-27T04:27:28.14+00:00

Hello there!

I've noticed after a few months of using OneNote on iPad after using it on a surface tablet for years (that no longer works), that the iPad version severely lacks in features in comparison.

The current OneNote ipad is not optimized for the new liquid glass update or splitscreening. The apple pencil/stylus compatability is also not the greatest as the touch registration is very off, it acts like the tip of my stylus is twice as big and makes precision edits in handwritten notes difficult. This is a problem I have found specifically when using the stroke eraser. I have also been concerned with the lack of page templates and rule line colors (I have difficulty writing on and seeing blue lines).

Will custom title, header, and text formats ever be a thing? The formatting painter is fine but could be tedious at times. I believe that the ability to open multiple OneNote tabs would greatly increase the usuability of the app as well, one tab open for notes and another as scratch paper is how I would personally use it. Minmizing or shrinking the top bar with brushes and tabs would be great when split screening as well. For the brushes, when the page is maximized, I wish it could be like a floating dock as seen on the surface.

The last thing that makes it a little diffcullt for me to appreciate the full potential of the app is the recording feature, I am a college student who would love to be able to record letctures while simutaniously writing notes. Being able to later play the audio and watch the brush/keystrokes in sync would be a note taking dream!

Use of the brush pen and fountain pen would be nice as well, but not something I'm personally too worried about. I love this note-taking app with all my heart, and it makes me a little wistful to think of everything I lost by switching from a surface-go to an iPad. I'm just one person, but I hope this feedback is valuable.

Thank you for your time!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | iOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-27T04:27:45.4666667+00:00

    OneNote for iPad currently has fewer features than the full Windows desktop version, and some capabilities available on Surface/Windows (such as richer templates, more advanced ink tools, and some layout options) are not available on iPad.

    From the available information, there is no published roadmap or confirmation of specific “big updates” such as:

    • Custom title/header/text styles beyond what is already in the app
    • Advanced page templates or more rule line color options
    • Multiple OneNote windows/tabs on iPad
    • A Surface-like floating ink toolbar
    • Audio recording that replays ink/keystrokes in sync

    However, OneNote for iPad does support inking and stylus use, and Microsoft continues to ship updates and performance improvements. To make sure the app has the latest fixes and features:

    1. Turn on automatic app updates on iPad:
      • Open Settings > iTunes & App Store.
      • Under Automatic Downloads, turn on App Updates.
    2. Or update manually:
      • Open the App Store.
      • Tap the profile picture in the upper-right corner.
      • Pull down to refresh, then tap Update All if available.

    For current inking behavior and stylus settings on iPad:

    • On the Draw tab, use Drawing Mode to:
      • Turn Draw with Touch on/off.
      • Set Stylus Orientation so OneNote can better ignore palm input when using Apple Pencil or another stylus.
    • Choose pen, color, and thickness on the Draw tab before writing or erasing.

    To provide feedback and request the features described (better Apple Pencil precision, more templates and rule lines, multiple windows/tabs, minimized/floating toolbar, ink–audio sync, additional pens, etc.), Microsoft directs users to submit feature requests and feedback. Feedback is used to shape future updates across Office apps, including OneNote. For more details on how feedback is handled, see How do I give feedback on Microsoft Office.

    Keeping OneNote updated and submitting in-app feedback is currently the supported path to influence future improvements on iPad.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.