My backup email no longer exists - how do I change it?

Lee Barr 0 Reputation points
2026-02-19T12:52:36.53+00:00

I set up my email many years ago and my back up email no longer exists. When being asked to verify my email it wants to send the link to this address which no longer exists. How do I change it?

Also, I believe my mobile number may be incorrect as I don't receive the verification code when I ask for it.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Identity Manager
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-19T12:52:46.4566667+00:00

    To change your backup email and mobile number for your Microsoft account, you will need to regain access to your account first. Since you cannot receive verification codes at your backup email or mobile number, follow these steps:

    1. Account Recovery Form: Go to the Microsoft account recovery page at https://account.live.com/acsr. Fill out the recovery form with as much accurate information as possible. This includes recent email subjects, folder names, and contacts you’ve emailed.
    2. Alternative Recovery Options: If you have other recovery options set up, such as another email address or a different phone number, use those to receive the verification code.
    3. Contact Microsoft Support: If you are unable to recover your account using the recovery form, you may need to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. You can do this by visiting https://support.microsoft.com/contactus and selecting the appropriate options for account recovery.
    4. Updating Information: Once you regain access to your account, you can update your backup email and mobile number in the security settings of your Microsoft account.

    Please note that if you have two-step verification enabled, you will need to verify your identity using one of your recovery methods before you can make these changes.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.