I'm completely locked out of my account

Abbie Millar 0 Reputation points
2026-02-19T12:12:00.79+00:00

My Microsoft is registered with an old phone number. I've added a new phone number and now I'm completely locked out of my account. I have urgent work emails and NHS emails I need to be able to access - I'm so frustrated. I've tried to answer the questions to try and unlock the account but it's now completely locked me out.

Can someone help?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs


1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-19T12:12:11.3633333+00:00

    If you're locked out of your Microsoft account due to an old phone number and have already tried answering the security questions, here are some steps you can take:

    1. Wait for the Lockout Period: If you've attempted to recover your account multiple times, it may be temporarily locked. Typically, this lockout period lasts about 24 hours. Avoid further attempts during this time to prevent resetting the cooldown.
    2. Use the Account Recovery Form: You can try to regain access by filling out the Account Recovery Form with as much accurate information as possible. This includes recent email subjects, folder names, and contacts you've emailed.
    3. Contact Microsoft Support: If you continue to have issues, you should contact Microsoft Support directly. You can do this by signing in with any account or creating a new one if necessary. Provide them with the details of your situation to get assistance.
    4. Try Different Recovery Methods: If you have two-step verification enabled, ensure you have access to at least one of your security methods (like your new phone number, email, or authenticator app).
    5. Clear Browser Data: Sometimes, clearing your browser's cache or using a different browser can help with the recovery process.

    If none of these options work, you may need to wait for Microsoft to verify your identity through the recovery form you submitted.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.