How to bypass msconfig

Mark Roberts 0 Reputation points
2026-02-16T04:47:00.1366667+00:00

So I have a weird question. I am trying to get into an old laptop. The issue was I was able to log into it because I know the pin for the laptop. I was having issues updating it to the last Windows 10 patch before EOS It was failing and I couldn't get the f8 menu to go into Safe Mode. I used msconfig to go into safe mode, but none of the passwords I used back then. I tried the password I use for my current email, didn't work.

I could get back in with my pin if I can get it into normal mode, but I cant go into Safe Mode anything.. and Safe mode with networking isn't working.. it's ignoring it. Is there some way to bypass the msconfig so I can go back into normal mode?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. AI answer

    2026-02-16T04:47:09.16+00:00

    If you're unable to access Safe Mode via msconfig and are locked out of your laptop, one option you might consider is performing a clean installation of Windows. This would allow you to set up the laptop from scratch, but it will erase all data on the device. If you have important files that you need to recover, you might want to try booting from a Windows installation media or a recovery drive to access your files before proceeding with a clean install.

    Unfortunately, there are no specific methods mentioned in the provided context to bypass msconfig settings directly. If you can access the recovery options, you may also attempt to reset your PC or use the command prompt to troubleshoot further.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.