What is "Error 1706" when trying to get Civ4 to play on Windows 11?

Dean Chambless 0 Reputation points
2026-02-11T22:24:06.6466667+00:00

Hello,

I've been trying for ages to get Civ4 to play on Windows 11. Long story short...

My version of Civ4 is from 2006 ("Game of the Year Edition") and I've learned that it has the 1.61 patch so I only need to install the 1.74 patch. I've downloaded the Directx update/patches (the large selection of updates/patches from June 2010 (I think it was 2010?). I've been installing the game as 'Administrator' and using 'Compatibility' of Windows 7 and 8.

During installation I get:

"Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Sid Meier's Civilization 4. The Windows Installer cannot continue." But... when I acknowledge the error message, it goes away and I'm told that the installation is complete and to insert disc 1.

Then I try to play the game (as 'Administrator') and I get the following messages:

"The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR71.DLL was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem." Also "... MSVCP71.DLL..." at the same time.

I think I've worn out the first two people who have gotten me this far! (Ivan B and Lychee-Ng, again many thanks for your help! I'm sorry to be such an idiot!) It feels like I'm almost there, but I'm clearly doing something wrong. Is there anyone out there who can have a go at rescuing my sanity?!

Please use small words as I'm not very computer smart. Cheers, Dean

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Gaming

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-11T22:24:48.6266667+00:00

    Error 1706 typically indicates that the Windows Installer cannot find the source files needed to complete the installation of a program. In your case, it seems that the installer for Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is unable to locate the necessary files on the installation media (like the CD or DVD) or in the specified installation path.

    Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:

    1. Check the Installation Media: Ensure that the disc is clean and free from scratches. If you have a digital version, make sure that the files are intact and not corrupted.
    2. Run the Installer as Administrator: You've mentioned that you're already doing this, but it's crucial to ensure that you right-click on the installer and select "Run as administrator" to give it the necessary permissions.
    3. Compatibility Settings: You mentioned using compatibility settings for Windows 7 and 8. Make sure to try both settings again, as sometimes one may work better than the other.
    4. Install Required DLLs: The errors regarding MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL indicate that these Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files are missing. You can download and install the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package, which should include these DLLs. This might resolve the execution errors you are encountering.
    5. Reinstall the Game: If the above steps do not work, consider uninstalling the game completely and then reinstalling it. Make sure to follow the installation instructions carefully and ensure that you are using the correct patches.
    6. Check for Updates: Ensure that your Windows 11 is fully updated, as sometimes compatibility issues can arise from outdated system files.

    If you continue to face issues, you might want to reach out to forums or communities specific to gaming on Windows 11, as they may have more tailored advice for older games like Civilization 4.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.